Workshop with Aggie Toppins
Zine is an abbreviation of fanzine or magazine. It's a self-published book of original works or with text and images.
Worked in a group to create a formal or conceptual procedure the results of which will be a code. We pass our own process to another classmate who will disrupt our procedure thereby eliciting a further encrypted code. Finally, we worked together as a group to design the zine that encapsulate our experiment. The form of the book includes a several keys so that readers may decipher the messages.
Our prototype was taken through several rounds of testing, thanks to available designs students sand faculty. We learned what the user's experience while completing the puzzles.
• Exploring generative processes (operation/procedure, co-creation)
• Designing process rather than products
• Suspending the impulse to per-conceive results; Embracing chance
• Exposure to the history and culture of zines and self-publishing
• Building a zine to document creative research
• Using the form of the book to engage readers in exchange